6 Tips For Pet Urine Cleanup
Let's face it pet owners, accidents happen. And whether it's your dog making a puddle or your cat not using the litter box, it is important to clean up the pet urine quickly and thoroughly. These following 6 tips for pet urine cleanup will help you eliminate odor and stains.
- Grab paper towels and blot as much of the urine as possible).
- Don't rub the stain! If it's dry, pour a little cold water on the stain, then blot.
- Avoid any cleaners or detergents with ammonia in them - it may encourage more "scent marking"
- Use a Water/Vinegar cleaning solution:
- 1.5 cups warm water and .5 cups of vinegar (white)
- Pour over stain and soak for 3-5 minutes
- Once dry, sprinkle stain with baking soda (lots)
- Then use a solution of .75 cup of hydrogen peroxide and dish detergent. (test a small area before applying to baking soda covered stain to make sure there is no discoloration) Rub into baking soda and carpet.
- Allow to dry, then vacuum baking soda.
- Use a commercial product with enzymes that will break down the urine and neutralize the odor.
- Deodorize as needed - the above mixture in step 4 can be used repeatedly.
There may be a variety of reasons why your pet may urinate where they aren't supposed to: age, sickness, behavioural issues, dirty litter box, etc. Consult your vet to determine if there is a larger underlying health issue.
And there you have it - a short, handy guide for when pet accidents happen...
Share this with a pet owner you know! And thank you, as always, for reading and sharing!
The GRE Property Management Staff